Our Educational Programme
The Early Years Foundation
Stage is the basis of the curriculum at The Bees Knees Day Nursery and
Pre-School. It ensures children will be ready to begin learning all
the subjects in the National Curriculum in later years.
Our educational objectives are that children will be able to:
Personal, Social and Emotional
- Have confidence and self-respect.
appropriately and be aware of right and wrong
- Be willing to take
turns and share fairly.
- Have good relationships with and sensitivity
towards others including
children of other cultures
- Respond with wonder, joy or sorrow to cultural
and religious events or
other experiences of the world.
well both independently and as a group.
- Concentrate and
- Take initiative.
- Have some personal independence - in
dressing and hygiene, for example.
Communication, Language and
- Listen attentively to stories, songs, rhymes and
talk about his/her own
- Use an increasing number of
words to express thoughts and find out things.
- Be able to make up
stories and take part in role play.
- Use and enjoy books, knowing
that pictures and words have a meaning,
that pages turn and that
words are read from left to right.
- Recognise his/her own name, some
familiar words and alphabet letters.
- Associate sounds with words,
letters and syllables and patterns in rhymes.
- Write his/her own name
and write for different purposes using pictures or symbols, small and
Problem Solving, Reasoning and
- Know the mathematical words to describe shape,
position, size or quantity such as circle, cube, behind, bigger
- Recognise and make mathematical patterns.
- Sort, compare
and put objects in order.
- Know some number rhymes, songs, stories
and counting games.
- Count, read and write numbers to 10.
real objects to solve problems, such as adding one, taking away
one and working out how many are left.
Knowledge and Understanding of the
- Talk about his or her family, past and present
events, where s/he lives, his or her environment and some of its features, such as parks, shops, schools, railway stations
- Talk about living, natural and made objects, patterns
- Talk about and record, in writing, symbols or pictures
- Ask questions about why things happen
and how things work.
- Choose and use equipment to cut, fold or
- Use technology, such as computers, telephones and
Move confidently and imaginatively with control, co-ordination
awareness of space.
- Be able to use a wide range of small
equipment such as bats, balls, hoops and climbing and balancing
- To be able to use tools, objects, hard and soft
construction materials, safely and with control.
Explore sound, colour, texture, shape, space in both his/her two and
three dimensional work.
- Respond in various ways to what s/he
hears, smells, touches and feels.
- Use imagination and observation in
- Express ideas and communicate feelings through a range of
including suitable tools and musical